With the 77th Session of the Nevada Legislature beginning today, the Las Vegas group Hispanics in Politics will feature speaker Andres Ramirez of the Ramirez Group to discuss the bills that may be of concern to the Latino population.
The HIP breakfast is Wednesday (February 6) at 7:30 a.m. at Dona Maria’s Tamales on Las Vegas Blvd.
Nice blurb here from the Hispanics in Politics invite:
“As many of you know, Andres is considered by most as one of the strongest voices in our Latino community. In its latest issue (still out on newsstands), Seven Magazine asked its readers to “Place Your Bets” on Andres Ramirez and the Ramirez Group, calling him “one of the country’s leading experts on all things Hispanic, thanks in part to ‘tons of research and policy analysis, and a lot of demographic analysis’”, further stating that he is a “powerful instrument of change.”
Obviously, HIP agrees with Seven’s assessment, and has asked Andres to address the following concerns that we know will be discussed in the halls and chambers of the State Legislature today and for the next 30, 60, 90 and/or 120 days – not to mention within our own community. Some of these issues will include the following:
• The impact of the Latino vote in Nevada
• Comprehensive Immigration Reform
• Secretary of State’s proposal to include photos of voters in election poll books
• One day extension of the Early Voting period
• Same-day voter registration
• Registration of Notarios and others serving as immigration consultants
• Drivers’ Privilege Cards
• Funding for English Language Learners Program
• Governor’s Education budget”