Unhealthy diets are now a greater threat to global health than tobacco.
That’s according to a statement released by Olivier De Schutter of the Human Rights Commission of the United Nations.
Schutter recommended 5 actions governments should take to curb the growing health problem:
1) Taxing unhealthy products;
2) Regulating foods high in saturated fats, salt and sugar;
3) Cracking down on junk food advertising;
4) Overhauling misguided agricultural subsidies that make certain ingredients cheaper than others; and
5) Supporting local food production so that consumers have access to healthy, fresh and nutritious foods.